Skip to Main Content

My Child Is Receiving Services Through EI, CPSE, CSE, OPWDD – Are They Getting What They Need?

I have been receiving many calls from parents who have been referred by colleagues to help address current concerns about their child’s development and progress. Questions such as:

  1. My child is receiving services through Early Intervention, EI, speech only, but he continues to demonstrate many temper tantrums. What is wrong? Why is this still happening? What else could I be doing to help my child progress?
  2. My child is receiving services through NYC Department of Education, Committee on Pre-School Special Education, CPSE, speech, occupational and physical therapy, but he is demonstrating little progress. What is wrong? What else should I be doing?
  3. My child is receiving services through the NYC Department of Education, Committee on Special Education, CSE. How do I know the school and clinicians providing services are using best practice? What is best practice?
  4. My child is receiving ABA services in his therapeutic pre-school and at home, some clinicians are not having any problem but others are. What is wrong?

The NYS Office of People with Developmental Disabilities, OPWDD, provide services and resources, which compliment the other programs and provide services and resources once the child becomes an adult, over 21 years of age. I often let parents know how to access these services and what they should know.

The services provided through EI, CPSE, CSE and OPWDD provide a continuum of services intended to maximize each child’s potential. In most cases, the services provided use state of the art interventions with trained clinical staff and children progress. In some cases, despite the best efforts of these programs, challenges for the child and family persist. Why?

speech therapy - autism

The answer to this question is complex and multifaceted. When asked questions similar to those above, I ask for; the evaluations the IFSP, IEP or plan of care. Who is having the problems, what are the problems, who is not having the problems, and why? What is the perceived reasons for, and motivation(s) for, the behavior? Essentially, a mini-functional behavior analysis, FBA.

Often left out of consideration are the emotional needs of the child and the emotional needs of the family members. In effect only, part of the child’s needs are being addressed, certainly not all the child’s needs or those of the family. This is not to mention that parents must learn to be their child’s advocate and how to work collaboratively with the providers. To be an effective advocate, parents need to know how to assess their child’s progress or lack of it, and how to address their concern(s) at each level of care. In each case, I help parents think outside of the box, to consider needs that might be unmet, and/or different avenues to obtain the necessary services.

Reach out for a consultation which will consist of a comprehensive review and evaluation of your child’s plan of care. We can discuss your concerns and the individual needs of your child. If necessary we can develop a plan to enhance the services and interventions you child receives. I can be reached at my office phone; 516-297-5705 or email,

This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.